17.6.08

Tribute


T2 Shoot
Originally uploaded by Michael Heilemann

Ain’t It Cool News broke the story of Stan Winston’s death before any other publication. Like so many of us fans, geeks, we know what the death of this man means to the industry and that the mainstream press has no idea of what is true impact will continue to be on filmmaking, and will therefore not give him the tribute he deserves. Please visit Ain’t It Cool News and see the ever growing tribute to this master.


Below are what I thought were some of the most inspirational things people have said about Stan’s passing so far. I hope one day that I can garner a fraction of the endearment and respect that these individuals had not just for Stan’s work, but for Stan himself.



We talked for a long time about all the fun times, and all the dragons we'd slain together. He said that once you've shown something is possible, everybody can do it. What was important was being first. Breaking new ground.


James Cameron


Hollywood has lost a shining star.

Jon Favreau


I was amazed that even if you weren't Cameron or Spielberg, a legend like Stan would treat you with the same respect he'd give those guys.

Jonathon Liebsman


As revered an industry figure as he was, he was still basically the kid who loved movies and broke into the business for the magic of it, and he never let go of that attitude.

Frank Darabont


Stan took make-up effects out of the garage and made it a respectable business.

Rick Baker


But here’s what I remember: me and Stan, at four in the morning, throwing a dummy onto a spike just like when I was 12 years old in my backyard making 8mm movies with my friends. I’m sure the crew thought we were crazy. But man, the memory was worth it.

Fred Dekker


No comments: